Monday, March 1, 2010

Irish Soda Bread



Mmmmmmmm...
OK, I am not a big bread person...why? Becuase I LOVE BREAD AND I COULD EAT IT ALL DAY LONG. So I don't buy it or make it, out of sight out of mind...right? But once in a while if we are having a hearty soup for dinner I make a fast soda bread. It takes about 30 min total with 25 min of it cooking! That's right! No waiting for it to rise! Yipee!

For the Bread:

-2 1/4 cups of flour (I use King Arthur's White Whole Wheat, much better for you I guess :)
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 cup buttermilk (I use Saco Buttermilk Powder, it's easy!)

1. Heat oven to 425°
2. Add ingredients in order of flour, baking soda and salt and whisk together
3. Add buttermilk (well blended if you used the powder...)
4. Flour hands a bit and make a nice round ball of dough
5. Cut a criss cross shape on the top of the dough, drop it on any kind of cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 min.
*The crust should be super crusty and the inside nice and soft, we devour it with butter and/or honey and jam, or plain, or whatever really. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try this! I love homemade bread. And since you love it too, I will have to get the recipe from my sis-in-law that is to die for wheat. Yup, that's what I said, to do for WHEAT. I'll post it as a comment as soon as I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can I use rice milk for Jen? Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete